Perhaps you'd automatically reply: "My home." Or, on second thought, you'd change that to: "My family." Or "My good health." Or possibly: "My reputation."
These are all good answers. But if we limit the question to your personal finances, the best answer you could give would be: "My income."
After all, without an income, you might not be able to keep your home...it would be difficult to support your family...and you would not be able to handle all the
expenses of daily living and meet your obligations.
That's why it's so important to insure your income!
After all, you insure your home, your life, your car, your other personal property, your medical expenses, and perhaps even your pets or your vacation trips.
But if you were to become disabled, no doubt your income would drop significantly or cease altogether.
And, unless you have the right kind and amount of Disability Insurance, whatever insurance you may currently have would not
provide you with any
replacement income whatsoever!
With significantly less income, or no income at all, how would you...
- Make your mortgage or rent payments?
- Pay for gas, electric, water or other utilities?
- Buy food, clothing, prescription drugs, etc.?
- Make the payments on your credit cards?
- Pay current or prior educational expenses?
- Make the payments on your vehicle(s)?
- Pay the premiums on your other insurance?
- Make the payments on any loans you have?
- Pay any back taxes or meet other obligations?
- Put aside some money for retirement?
- Continue to practice your profession or keep your business operating?